Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Sarawak a place called Home?

I thought I saw the above phrase somewhere in town, couldn't remember where but that's beside the point. What I'm trying to say here is if Sarawak as at today is a place called home, I don't think I would like to be at home. There are just too many happenings lately of which no amicable solutions are achieved. For instance, the HFM disease. Despite the Government's assurance that everything is under control, why are we still getting new cases and to make matter worst, another fatality last Saturday? As I was buying lunch yesterday at my office food court, I noticed that there were lots of little little potential HFM victims playing around the public area. How do we justify that? How can we knock some sense into the parents' big head???? Likewise, when the Government instructed all kindies and nurseries to close, some parents actually took the opportunity to bring their children for a holiday at Damai or an evening walk at the waterfront or the new Friendship Park.

Put aside that, as most Sarawakians are busy talking about the disease and the recent fuel price hike, did anyone notice the very bad visibility in Kuching city? This photo was taken at 9.00am this morning from my office tower and as I type now, I noticed that the condition is getting worse. What surprises me is the non-publication of whatsover precautionary advice from the Ministry of Health. As usual, our neighbouring country Indonesia was blamed for this but did we realise that we, the Sarawakians are also contributor to this condition? Last Sunday, there was a huge fire at the chinese cemetery across Wisma Saberkas. I do understand that this is customary to make way for the upcoming Ghost Festival but is there no other alternative? I think it's high time that we should play a role in helping the Government to prevent all these happenings.

If nothing is done to contain all these dissasters, I don't think I would like to claim Sarawak as my Home. Should I start looking for a new Home, then?

1 comment:

MNG said...

I can never forget that day cos' that was the 1st time I rode in your car, QKD9398. U sent me home after the office was asked to close.