Went back to Sibu over the weekend to attend my maternal grandmother's 70th Birthday. It was both a sad and happy occasion for us all... Happy obviously because it was her birthday and sad because this could be her last birthday. She's suffering from an advance stage of breast cancer and her days are numbered, literally. Her children are keeping mum about her serious condition from her. Despite her sickness, she is a very nice and quiet lady. We arrived her house on Saturday morning with lots of food that she personally made just for us......Before I fly, I kept on trying to recall how she looks like as I have no recollection of that.....I can't even remember the last time I saw her..Anyway, she remembers my name and that's all that matters.
Her signature dishes are Pak Lo Duck and the pillow-look-a-like bak chang....I immediately took 1 bak chang and ate it and it was very nice indeed. (My sister, the anonymous said I was tham chiak but how could you turn down the invitation from such a nice lady who prepared so much for you despite her sicknesss?)
Anyway, her birthday luncheon was yesterday and it was a very emotional one...What saddened me the most was that innocent look of hers.....As much as the children tried to keep silent about her condition, deep down, I'm sure, grandma knows that her days on earth are limited.
How does it feel knowing that your days are numbered? How would you react? Would you be as calm? How would you prepare yourself to face death and finally if it arrives, how do you take it? When do you have to say goodbye to all your loved ones, would you be given enough time to bid them goodbye and tell them not to mourn for you?
How, how, when, when...........................that's life.....
Tuesday, May 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
If I knew that I am going to die soon, maybe I would just have the funeral before I died...like what Morrie did...?! Hee...
Cherish our days!
Junoesque - U never know...I might die tomorrow.....
Anonymous - I will do that too, planning my own funeral service. I'll do mine on a Saturday instead of Tuesday.
Post a Comment