Friday, September 15, 2006

Childhood food reminiscence

Of late, I've been thinking about food that we siblings used to eat when we were young and no longer in existence (or rather not to my knowledge until now) now that we are old have grown up. Anyway, I'm starting a self project in rekindling my taste bud when I was young (young as in far-from-reaching-the-puberty age). To-date, I have discovered 2.....Taste more or less the same but one thing for sure, price has gone up a thousand fold!

Food No 1
Cotton Candy - RM1.00


pink + cotton candy = ???

Past -
Used to like it so much and we siblings would 'pester' papa & mama to buy for us...Not 1 for 3 (3 of us only cos a certain somebody is still not in existence yet!) of us...Somehow or rather we don't believe in sharing and one must have their own and the person who finished hers/his first will sure cry!! LOL. I think it cost less than RM1.00 then but times were bad and to spend papa's money on this unnecessary sweets were definitely not a norm.

I just loved to see the floss turned to a darker colour everytime it came in contact with my saliva (try it by nibbling the floss) and I will slowly nibble the floss (which obviously mean that I was the last one to finish)...but then, that doesn't mean I have the best of both worlds cause by exposing the whole candy to air, it will shrink in no time and will turn sticky and crystalise the whole thing making it hard and not so good anymore....

Present -
I was at Hock Lee Centre after a dinner the other night when I spotted this candy and without hesitation, I just walked up to the stall and grab one. Too bad there is no more cotton candy machine at site...I used to love to see how the seller spin and spin until a whole big ball of candy appeared... Anyway, like I've said, we are old grown up now and I find it too sweet to my liking...


Food No 2
Onion Crackers - RM3.60

Yeah, there is a real onion at the top of the cracker......

Past -
I still remembered come month end, mama and papa will go to the nearest grocery shop to order ration for the month and to have it sent to our house. Amongst all the many many rations that they ordered (including the big and thick sanitary pads for us girls...LOL) a tin of either cream crackers or the onion crackers was sure to be in....(mind you, the tin I'm referring to was big and u don't get to see this kind of tin containing crackers anymore. not in supermarkets surely) Like mama, we both like the onion crackers the most....taste good by dipping it in your coffee or just by eating it dry.

Present -
Bought this packet from Giant Supermarket. Anyway, I don't know whether that's how it used to taste like or there's something wrong with the packaging but I find it a bit soggy and not as aromatic as before....But then again, last time we were not so exposed to all the nicest biscuits and crackers, thus, our tastebud is still very much a virgin and anything that goes into your mouth tasted heaven!

That's about all...I need to go and make myself a cup of nescafe and enjoy the crackers...
Hey, why don't u tell me what was your childhood favourite food and see whether we shared the same taste bud!

Till then.......

7 comments:

Redsponge said...

Oh..so nice to listen to stories bfore someone join u 3.

Hmm...i know the big tin! 'x' LOL!

But mama use to buy the salty biscuits last time.

I miss a type of junk food very very very much! The factory closed down dy.

It is a kind of prawn keropok. Pink colour, 3 pieces in a package, RM0.10 per package. The package is transparent with a big red prawn picture. Not sure UR time got that yet or not! Muahahahaha

MNG said...

redsponge
There are lots of things that a certain somebody is not aware...She's way too young...So r u too...:-)

Salty biscuits?? The small round hard ones which is called Kay Beng?? Very nice too that one

How the prwan keropok look like?? Got the name?? Another type of junk food that I liked and still like is 2 flower mee....

Chen said...

I remembered during my childhood time, the cotton candy came in packet form - smaller-sized cotton candy sold at the price of 20 cents per packet. Very nostalgic :)

MNG said...

Chen
Your r right....It was much much smaller then....perhaps kids of yester years have smaller mouth and much more gentler than the kids of today (Definition of kids today: Those who are still in the early 20's)

Chen said...

hahaha, we are more obedient, gentle and talk less in the past :P

LOL at your definition of kids today. Err, that sounds like somebody leh :D

MNG said...

Chen
I can relate very well kids of today cos I'm dealing with a few..:-)

My friend told me that kids of yesteryears can only be seen, not heard....Cish

But hoh...the certain kid of today that we talked about used to be very quiet, demure and gentle wan....

Chen said...

dealing with few kids?
Mmmm.. wondering what is it about :)

Hoh? No wonder lah she always tell me about "generation gap" :P